Database Security tools are necessary to provide complete protection to the database. It serves with facilities beyond the security features that come with the product. Data Security tools provide different analysis and auditing tools along with high-end data.
Database Activity Monitoring is an essential part of security tools to protect your database. It is a renowned technology to safeguard your data. As depicted by its name, DAM is to monitor all the activities on the database and serve with notifications and reports regarding the database activities. The type of report and notification alert you get depends on the product you choose and its configuration.
Uses of DAM
- Active detection of at-risk data
- Enhanced visibility into application traffic
- Capability to provide database activity monitoring in virtualized environment or cloud (where there is an absence of well-defined network topology).
- The strength to observe intra-database attacks and backdoors in real time.
- Prevention without being in-line to the transactions.
- Database user rights attestation reporting, needed by a wide range of regulations.
- Better integration with vulnerability screening products
- Configuration auditing to satisfy with audits required by the US Sarbanes-Oxley Act
- DLP capabilities that direct security concerns as well as data identification and protection requirements of the Payment Card Industry (PCI) and other frameworks focusing on data.
Not just limited to this, some companies even use DAM for many other purposes.
DAM is a crucial part of enterprise compliance profile. Even though it does not provide a real-time security measure against threats like SQL injections, inadvertent tampering with data and insider threats, it is still very useful when used with Database firewall, SQL injection protection, data masking & encryption, etc.